Kerrville VA Hospital ~ 2000
The Kerrville VA Hospital is located about 65 miles northwest of San Antonio, Texas in Kerrville, Texas and is part of the South Texas Health Care System (STVHCS). The Kerrville facility provides health care service for over 20,000 Veterans in the Texas Hill Country. The last official report of the hospital’s capacity was 226 authorized hospital beds and 154 beds in a nursing home care unit. In addition, the current information from Audie Murphy says Kerrville provides such services and technology as a extended substance abuse treatment program, geriatric evaluation and management, hospice care and a computerized tomography scanner. In reality, the Kerrville VA Hospital is a facility providing numerous clinics with only 20 acute beds and 5 ICU beds. The 154 bed nursing (now called “transitional care”) is in place and being operated at capacity. The other 206 acute beds have been converted to offices for the doctors, gym area (that is seldom used), storage, and many other miscellaneous areas that do not provide any health care to our Veterans.
Kerrville VA Hospital ~ 1947
The thought of a hospital in Kerrville, Texas to care for World War I Veterans began in 1919. The Benevolent War Risk Society of Texas launched a drive to raise $500,000 to erect a hospital. The Schreiner brothers - Louis and A.C., Sr. - donated 790 acres for the hospital site. Before the project
"Legion" was the name given to the hospital. When the American Legion funds were depleted, they along with the Daughters of the Confederacy, and State Senator Julius Real exchanged the deed of the project to the State of Texas for $1.5 million to complete the 600-bed facility.
In 1923, a committee, which included State Senator Woodville Rogers, made arrangements with the U.S. Veterans Bureau to lease the hospital. On May 4, 1923, the Texas State Board of Control leased the facility, containing 15 buildings, to the Bureau. On July 1, 1923, the Veterans Bureau opened its doors to the 93 rd hospital in the nation dedicated to the care of its veterans. Eighty-one patients were transferred from Camp Logan, Houston. Millard P. Wilkins was the first patient admitted.
In 1925, the Veterans Bureau purchased the hospital from the State of Texas for $1.2 million. In 1945, construction of a new hospital building began and dedication ceremonies were held in 1947. A 120-bed nursing home was added in 1984. The hospital integrated with the Audie L. Murphy Memorial Veterans Hospital in San Antonio in March 1995, to form the South Texas Veterans Health Care System (STVHCS)
The present facility stands on 70 acres, which includes a 1.7 acre inactive National Cemetery. The Kerrville VA Hospital continues to be a major provider of health care for South Texas veterans. It is a center of excellence in primary care, long-term care, hospice, and employee education.
Kerrville VA Hospital ~ 1923